12.15.2008

One for the road.

This is Unni's mother. I chanced upon him during a festival in a remote village in north Kerala. Most of the time I watched more than two dozen kinds of 'Theyyams' performing. Those 3 days and nights transported me into what seemed like the perfect plot for a short story - so very visually and emotionally overwhelming. I ended up staying in Unni's dilapidated house without doors and not a spare bedspread to sleep on. One of the most warm and hopsitable stay though!

Educated but unemployed, Unni couldnt support himself, mother and uncle at home. Father had left them earlier than he could remember. Their resilience was almost philosophical. When offered to take pictures a soft and unperturbed Unni asked me to take a 'good' picture of his mother alone 'that can be framed' later.

I am yet to meet someone so much simplifying that inevitable truth called death.

Against the grim laterite walls facing the morning sun, she effortlessy smiled for me. Life has not been such a bad deal yet?

This portrait becomes a sinful reminder as I realise that it has been 8 years since I promised to send copies. I have lost the address!

 

No comments: