12.15.2008

A canvas in illuminated shadows

Let me confess, this wasn't the desired effect. But when I got the print I liked it better than any picture postcard image of 'Theyyam' I have seen. Maybe its the painter in me!

Abandoning myself in more dosages of pastoral life I was in this island ( near Parassinikkadavu temple off Kannur, Kerala ) with just 75 families and a temple.
Every two years
'Kaliyattam' is performed and I was there just to bask in the rhythm and riot of colours tinted in faith, spirituality, art and folklore. Also seriously taking pictures ( my host had told the natives that I'm a press photopgrapher and I had a tought time living up to their expectations of one!).

Photography, I feel, is elevated to an art form only when it succeeds in depicting something beyond what meets the eye. It could be an expression, a detail or a possibility triggered with an overload of imagination and technique. Occasionally art could also happen from a miscalculation, you see!

No comments: